Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Best Health Insurance for Individuals in Michigan

IMPORTANT NOTE: This article was originally written in early 2010. Some of the information provided here may be out of date. 

Source: TaxCredits.net
If you live in Michigan and work for an employer that does not offer a group health insurance plan, you can still get coverage on your own.

Individual health insurance policies are available from several major carriers, with benefits that you can customize to fit your needs and your available monthly budget.

By understanding the basics of how individual health insurance plans work, you will be able to make a more informed decision and purchase the best plan.

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan: Individual Care Blue Plus

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan offers a superior individual health insurance program called Individual Care Blue Plus. This policy is a PPO plan that provides with cost-effective services if you visit participating providers in the Blue Cross Blue Shield network, but also allows you the freedom to visit non-network physicians and facilities for a slightly higher cost.

The Individual Care Blue Plus policy will pay 100% of your preventive medical services and check-ups, mammography screenings, annual dental cleanings and yearly vision exams. For most other services and medical treatment, the insurance carrier will pay 70% of the total cost after a $1,000 annual deductible is met.

You are responsible for the remaining 30% of treatment costs until you have spent a total of $3,500. Once you have fulfilled your annual out-of-pocket maximum, the insurance company will pay for all treatment and services for the remainder of the year.

Humana One: Portrait Share 80

Humana's Portrait Share 80 is an individual PPO health insurance plan that offers you extensive treatment options, from both in-network and out-of-network physicians and facilities. Your treatment costs will be higher when visiting non-network providers, but you always have the freedom to seek services from any medical professional, regardless of their insurance carrier affiliation.

The Portrait Share 80 plan offers primary care physician office visits for a small initial co-pay of $35 and a specialist physician for $50. Any other services provided, including in-patient hospital stays and out-patient surgical procedures, will require you to pay the annual deductible of $1,000 before Humana will begin contributing.

Once you fulfill your deductible, Humana will pay 80% of your treatment costs, leaving you responsible for the remaining 20% until you have spent $2,000. After this maximum out-of-pocket cost has been met, Humana will pay 100% of your treatment invoices for the remainder of the year.

United Healthcare: Copay Select

United Healthcare has several individual health insurance plans, including the Copay Select policy which has multiple options you can configure to create the best possible coverage to meet your needs.

This plan is an individual PPO policy that provides extensive and comprehensive coverage when you receive treatment from a provider within the United Healthcare network and slightly less comprehensive coverage if you seek treatment from a non-network provider. The Copay Select plan offers you a choice of deductibles, ranging from $500-$10,000, and coinsurance choices from 0%-30%.

You can visit either your family physician or a specialist for only $35. This policy also allows you to receive several services and treatment options without the need to fulfill your deductible first.

References




This article is a Twisted Nonsense Exclusive! (02/11/2010)